Friday, February 18, 2011

Parmesan Chicken with Veggie “Pasta” and (Quick) Homemade Marinara Sauce

My hubby is out of town for the weekend, deep in the no-cell-phone-service reaches of the Alabama woods, for a good friend's bachelor party.  I'll miss him being away, but I'm thrilled for him to have a break from the day-to-day rat race.  And I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'm a little bit excited about the quiet weekend I'll be having at home by myself.  I have one social outing planned for tonight (Miranda Lambert concert at Billy Bob's!!!!!  Can you tell I'm excited?!), then I'm going to hole myself up and nest, nest, nest. 

To prepare for my weekend of nesting, I went to Central Market (non-Texans, I'm truly sorry that you don't have Central Market in your lives) this morning and spent about $90 on produce.  I'm pretty sure the person bagging my groceries was thinking that I am going to start sprouting roots and turn into a vegetable if I actually end up eating everything I bought.  Good thing I didn't spend a buck more on produce because there is zero space left in this refrigerator:

Don't judge the two (large) cartons of Half and Half.

Also, I bought chicken, ground turkey, half and half, dark chocolate, and current issues of Bon Appetit and Southern Living while I was there.  Just, you know, for variety.

I have a whole slew of mostly just veggie and fruit recipes that I plan on experimenting with this weekend, sort of as a detox/reset/nutrient boost for myself and to find new ways to eat super good-for-me things.  I also plan on tackling some major organizational projects around our home and working on cleaning, waxing and buffing some of our antique furniture (including an incredible lawyer's bookshelf that's been in hubby's family for years and years - pics to come throughout the restoration project!).  And, I may watch a ridiculous amount of chick flicks while all this is happening.

Before I disappear into my nest for the next couple of days, though, I wanted to share with you one of my most favorite healthy, quick and hearty recipes.  This is one that is pretty much just in my head, so I finally took the time on Wednesday evening to measure out the ingredients and write down my process.  Then I scarfed the food down so fast that no pictures were taken.  (Hence the photograph of the inside of my 'fridge to keep this from being a photo-less post...)  Oops.


Parmesan Chicken with Veggie “Pasta” and (Quick) Homemade Marinara Sauce

Hands-On: About 30 Minutes
Total Time: About 30 Minutes
Serves: 2

For the chicken:

2 eggs
1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
Approx. 1/2 Cup finely shredded or grated Parmesan (plus more for garnish, if desired)
1/3 cup unseasoned whole grain or whole wheat bread crumbs
Fine grain sea salt
ground black pepper
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
olive oil

For the veggie “pasta”:
2 each “normal” sized yellow squash and zucchini squash
olive oil

For the sauce:

1 – 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 – 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 small can tomato paste
thyme (fresh, if you have it)
dried parsley
dried oregano
dried basil
dried rosemary
2 dried bay leaves
½ tablespoon of sugar (don't skip this - sugar makes all the difference separating a fantastic marinara sauce from a blah one)
2-3 minced cloves of garlic

*note – You will need a julienne peeler for this recipe.  They aren’t expensive, and it will change your life.  I promise.

Prep your cooking space by having all of your ingredients out and ready.  This is a quick recipe, but everything happens at once (thus, making it quick…), so help yourself out by having everything in reach. 

Prep the chicken breasts by laying them out on a piece of plastic wrap on a cutting board and cover them with another piece of plastic wrap.  Using a heavy pan, a rolling pin or a meat pounder, pound out the chicken. 

Prep the pasta by using the julienne peeler to make “strands” of zucchini and squash from the fleshy part of the veggies.

In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and mustard together.  In another medium bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper.

On the stove-top, heat two medium to large skillets/frying pans to medium heat and pour about 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil in each.  While the pans are heating, place a small sauce pan on the stove and empty the cans of tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and tomato paste into it.  Add the sugar, garlic and herbs to the tomatoey mixture in amounts that are pleasing to your taste.  Stir and heat this sauce pan to medium.  (Continue stirring occasionally and keep an eye on the sauce pan while you’re working on the rest of the recipe and turn it down to simmer once it starts bubbling).

Place the veggie “pasta” in one of the skillets/frying pans and sauté, stirring occasionally, just like you would with any veggie.  Cook to your desired doneness.

While veggies are cooking, one at a time, dip the chicken breasts into the egg and mustard mixture, letting any excess drip off and dredge well in the bread crumb mixture.  Place chicken breasts in the other skillet/frying pan.  Cook 3-5 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked throughout. 

To serve, place a bed of “pasta” on each plate, top with a chicken breast, ladle a generous portion of marinara sauce on top of that and sprinkle with more Parmesan, if desired. 

Enjoy!


Happy weekend, everyone. :)

1 comment:

  1. A weekend of chick flicks, nesting, and fresh produce sounds soooo nice! (Absence of hubby does not, but he'll have fun too.) Can't wait to try this recipe. I am SUCH a squash and zucchini junky. Eating them as "pasta" sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete