Friday, October 1, 2010

In the Oven: Quick Bread from "The Peach Tree Tea Room Cookbook" by Cynthia Collins Pedregon



My husband won't be home from work for another hour or so, and since we're picking up dinner at Eatzi's tonight, I don't have any dinner to get ready for us. I've just been enjoying the semi-fall afternoon paing through cookbooks on the back porch (I'm not sure if you can really call a 17th floor balcony a "back porch," but it sounds much more cozy and southern, so I'm going with it).  I came across a bread recipe called "Quick Bread" in one of my favorite cookbooks, saw that I had all of the ingredients on hand, and decided to try it out. 

"Quick" is definitely an appropriate title for this bread!  Mixing it up took about 5 minutes and baking it took about 15.  I don't have a good loaf pan right now, so I used a muffin tin, which shortened the suggested baking time.  A warning: the shortened baking time didn't allow for the corn meal in the batter to fully soften.  There are little bits of crunch in the muffins because of this.  I kind of like the crunch, but it might bother other people.

These hearty looking Quick Muffins just came out of the oven and I'm enjoying one with a slathering of fresh butter.  They taste like a wheaty corn bread - very hearty and satisfying!  Here's the recipe, with my comments added:

2/3 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk (I used Almond Milk, original flavor)
1 egg
3 tablespoons oil (I used Canola)
3 tablespoons molasses or honey (I used clover honey)

1. Combine first 4 ingredient.  Using a wooden spoon, combine remaining ingredients and add to flour mixture.  Mix only until blended.
2. Bake in a greased loaf pan (as mentioned, I used a muffin tin) in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment